Outreach and Events Internship
The Surfrider Foundation is a grassroots non-profit organization dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of our ocean, waves and beaches through a powerful activist network. The San Diego County Chapter is seeking an energetic, independent and motivated individual to fill the role of the outreach and events intern. This position reports to the Chapter Coordinator to assist with specific campaigns, programs and committee outreach.
- Assist with preparation and hosting at various outreach events (weekends often required)
- Keep all outreach materials organized; maintain inventories and restock prior to events
- Support Beach Cleanup Intern with multiple cleanup events (typically twice a month on weekends and once or twice during the week, depending on schedule)
- Maintain regular contact with active volunteers and provide regular updates on upcoming opportunities
- Respond to and manage inquiries on local boothing opportunities
- Attend boothing opportunities as an enthusiastic and knowledgeable Surfrider SD representative
- Assist the Chapter Coordinator with major event outreach and communications
- Attend monthly Events & Fundraising Committee meetings
Applicants should have experience with current coastal environmental issues in San Diego along with community organizing and event planning. Candidates must have excellent oral communication skills, organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to motivate community volunteers. He or she must be hard working, self motivated, and have a commitment to environmental protection. A small level of physical exertion – loading/unloading supplies, setting up outreach booth events, etc. – is required. Reliable transportation is also required; your vehicle must be able to fit a pop-up tent and supply bins. Candidates must have, or be in the process of obtaining, a college degree.
Salary, Benefits, & Terms
This is an unpaid internship.
Schedule – 15 hours/week with varying hours, including some evenings and weekends, especially Saturday mornings. Can be flexible around work and school schedules, but applicants must commit to the vast majority of Surfrider beach cleanups and outreach events. Regularly scheduled office time, at least two days a week, is also required. The applicant should be able to commit to working for five months. Start and end dates are flexible with school schedules.
To Apply send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Outreach and Events Internship” in the subject line