REDUCING PLASTIC WASTE
One Restaurant at a Time
The Ocean Friendly Restaurant (OFR) campaign works with San Diego County restaurants to institute self-regulated ocean friendly policies that reduce disposable plastic waste. By reducing disposable waste, restaurants have the power to greatly reduce their impact on San Diego’s ocean and beaches. Instead of punishing restaurants that have wasteful practices, San Diego Surfrider Foundation’s Rise Above Plastics committee will instead support restaurants that take it upon themselves to be ocean friendly. By engaging the restaurant community in a conversation about ocean friendly practices, we hope to significantly reduce disposable waste in our ocean and on our beaches.
WHAT MAKES A RESTAURANT OCEAN FRIENDLY?
Restaurants participating in the OFR Campaign MUST follow these four criteria:
- No styrofoam use
- Only reusable tableware is provided for onsite dining
- Proper recycling practices are followed throughout the restaurant
- Plastic bags are not used to carry out food
And choose a minimum of three of these criteria as well:
- Plastic straws are provided only upon request
- Takeout food and beverage containers are recycled, recyclable, or compostable
- Takeout bags are provided only upon request, or pickup customers are asked to bring their own takeout bags
- Disposable utensils for takeout food are provided only upon request
- No beverages sold in plastic bottles.
- Discount offered to customers who bring in their own cup, mug, container, bag or other reusable item.
HOW CAN I HELP?
- Show your support by frequenting our certified Ocean Friendly Restaurants and let them know you found them on the OFR webpage
- Say “no straw” whenever you order a drink (even take-out and drive-thru), and take the No Straw Pledge
- Ask for water and other drinks in a reusable glass instead of plastic
- Bring your own reusable cup for takeout coffee, and remember to ask for a reusable mug when ordering “for here”
- Bring a reusable water bottle to avoid purchasing plastic bottles of water
- If you think you may have leftovers, bring your own reusable container instead of getting a disposable container from the restaurant
- Always bring your own bag when picking up takeout food
CERTIFY YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANT
Anyone can become part of the OFR team and certify restaurants to be Ocean Friendly. Join us at a committee meeting to find out exactly how the process works.
BECOME AN OFR
Benefits of being an Ocean Friendly Restaurant
We offer restaurants several incentives for their Ocean Friendly practices.
- Promotion to more than 30,000 San Diego County consumers through:
- social media
- our website, and future mobile app
- community events and beach cleanups
- Optional collateral including: OFR window sticker, table-toppers, diner brochures, bill stuffers, poster
- Collaborative promotions such as launch parties or coupon days promoted to our members
- Train wait staff about campaign
- Vendor pamphlet with alternative material sources and pricing, including negotiated discounts
OUR NEWEST OFR’s
Little Italy is the new Date Night hot spot. Grab that special someone (or your best friend) and join Indigo Grill for our Tuesday Date Night Menu.read more
Prado gets you to the show on time! Join us at The Prado on Sundays and Wednesdays for our 2-course Centennial Theatre Menu.read more
Opened Summer 2016 on Adams Avenue between North Park and University Heights, Beerfish is a casual seafood and beer concept styled after the seafood shacks of New England.read more
Red Card Café is a family-owned and operated gastropub in San Diego’s Bay Ho neighborhood serving the world’s most popular street foods and contemporary fare inspired by the far reaches of the globe.read more
Ambrogio15 is a gourmet pizzeria in North Pacific Beach offering unique Milano pizza made with the highest quality ingredients – including the restaurant’s signature paper-thin dough – from small farms in Italy.read more
Wheat & Water specializes in wood-fired pizza, shared plates, healthy salads and charcuterie. Featuring a variety of beer from local and national breweries, wines ranging from California and Europe and a cocktail list of originals and our favorite classics.Nestled...read more
Did you know that Tijuana has 12 certified Ocean Friendly Restaurants? Last year, our chapter partnered with Tijuana-based environmental non-profit PFEA (Proyecto Fronterizo de Educacion Ambiental) to assist their launch of Restaurante Amigo Del Mar, which is mirrored...read more
We are stoked to announce that Surfrider San Diego has been awarded funding for the Ocean Friendly Restaurants program by the Johnson Ohana Charitable Foundation, founded by Kim and Jack Johnson to support environmental, art, and music education. The grant will be...read more
An OFR as of May 24, 2016 Juice Bar & Healthy Grill 330 Magnolia Ave El Cajon, CA 619.401.2667 Garden Cafe 14860 Olde Highway 80 El Cajon, CA 619.938.33331 From The Soy Leaf Cafe: Here at Soy Leaf we think eating healthy should be easy and delicious! Our menu is...read more