REDUCING PLASTIC WASTE
One Restaurant at a Time
The Ocean Friendly Restaurant (OFR) campaign works with San Diego County restaurants to institute self-regulated ocean friendly policies that reduce disposable plastic waste. By reducing disposable waste, restaurants have the power to greatly reduce their impact on San Diego’s ocean and beaches. Instead of punishing restaurants that have wasteful practices, San Diego Surfrider Foundation’s Rise Above Plastics committee will instead support restaurants that take it upon themselves to be ocean friendly. By engaging the restaurant community in a conversation about ocean friendly practices, we hope to significantly reduce disposable waste in our ocean and on our beaches.
WHAT MAKES A RESTAURANT OCEAN FRIENDLY?
Restaurants participating in the OFR Campaign MUST follow these four criteria:
- No styrofoam use
- Only reusable tableware is provided for onsite dining
- Proper recycling practices are followed throughout the restaurant
- Plastic bags are not used to carry out food
And choose a minimum of three of these criteria as well:
- Plastic straws are provided only upon request
- Takeout food and beverage containers are recycled, recyclable, or compostable
- Takeout bags are provided only upon request, or pickup customers are asked to bring their own takeout bags
- Disposable utensils for takeout food are provided only upon request
- No beverages sold in plastic bottles.
- Discount offered to customers who bring in their own cup, mug, container, bag or other reusable item.
HOW CAN I HELP?
- Show your support by frequenting our certified Ocean Friendly Restaurants and let them know you found them on the OFR webpage
- Say “no straw” whenever you order a drink (even take-out and drive-thru), and take the No Straw Pledge
- Ask for water and other drinks in a reusable glass instead of plastic
- Bring your own reusable cup for takeout coffee, and remember to ask for a reusable mug when ordering “for here”
- Bring a reusable water bottle to avoid purchasing plastic bottles of water
- If you think you may have leftovers, bring your own reusable container instead of getting a disposable container from the restaurant
- Always bring your own bag when picking up takeout food
CERTIFY YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANT
Anyone can become part of the OFR team and certify restaurants to be Ocean Friendly. Join us at a committee meeting to find out exactly how the process works.
BECOME AN OFR
Benefits of being an Ocean Friendly Restaurant
We offer restaurants several incentives for their Ocean Friendly practices.
- Promotion to more than 30,000 San Diego County consumers through:
- social media
- our website, and future mobile app
- community events and beach cleanups
- Optional collateral including: OFR window sticker, table-toppers, diner brochures, bill stuffers, poster
- Collaborative promotions such as launch parties or coupon days promoted to our members
- Train wait staff about campaign
- Vendor pamphlet with alternative material sources and pricing, including negotiated discounts
OUR NEWEST OFR’s
1454 Camino Del Mar, Del Mar, CA 92014 (858) 794-6838 http://www.americanarestaurant.com/ When you feel like a good meal done right, Americana is the place to be!! We are in the prime of Del Mar near the beach, & our outdoor patio is incredibly pleasant &...read more
Herringbone restaurant is chef Brian Malarkey’s take on “Fish Meats Field." Beautiful open restaurant with 100 year old olive trees in the dining room. 7837 Herschel Ave La Jolla, CA 92037 (858) 459-0221...read more
Inspired by the simplicity, relaxed and feel-good vibe of the seersucker fabric, Chef Brian Malarkey created a space that invites patrons to relax and enjoy. Menus are both serious and fun, with creative twists on New American Classics. Dishes range from shared plates...read more
Vintana Wine and Dine 1205 Auto Park Way Escondido, CA 92029 (760) 745-7777 https://www.cohnrestaurants.com/vintana Vintana is a unique dining experience, located on top of the Lexus Escondido dealership with floor-to-ceiling views of the Escondido Valley. Vintana...read more
Lionfish 435 Fifth Ave. San Diego, Ca. 92101 619.738.7200 lionfishsd.com Lionfish is extremely proud and honored to join the ranks of elite restaurants in San Diego, and Nationally, certified as Ocean Friendly by the Surfrider Foundation. Our entire team is committed...read more
Bo-Beau La Mesa 8384 La Mesa Blvd 619-337-3445 https://www.cohnrestaurants.com/bobeaukitchengarden In the heart of the village of La Mesa, California, bohemian chic meets industrial elegance in this casual and intimate eatery. Bo-Beau is here to provide delicious...read more
Coasterra 880 Harbor Island Dr San Diego, CA 92101 619-814-1300 https://www.cohnrestaurants.com/coasterra Being a family-owned business the Cohn Restaurant Group takes great pride in the local community and cherishes all that San Diego has to offer, especially our...read more
The Melting Pot Gaslamp 901 5th Ave, San Diego, CA 92101 619-234-5554 meltingpot.com The Melting Pot is the original fondue restaurant where guests can enjoy several fondue cooking styles and a variety of unique entrees, salads, and unforgettable desserts. But we’re...read more
Bo Beau Ocean Beach 4996 W Point Loma Blvd, San Diego, CA 92107 (619) 224-2884 https://www.cohnrestaurants.com/bobeaukitchenbar Bo Beau OB - A casual neighborhood bistro in the heart of Bohemian Ocean Beach the beautiful (Beau) design transports you to a cottage in a...read more