REDUCING PLASTIC WASTE
One Restaurant at a Time
The Ocean Friendly Restaurant program increases awareness, drives change in behavior and ultimately creates scalable impact to reduce plastic waste. One restaurant, one customer at a time.
WHAT MAKES A RESTAURANT OCEAN FRIENDLY?
Restaurants participating must follow the first four criteria:
1. No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam).
2. Proper recycling practices are followed.
3. Only reusable tableware is used for onsite dining, and disposable utensils for takeout food are provided only upon request.
4. No plastic bags offered for takeout or to-go orders.
And choose a minimum of three of these criteria as well:
5. Plastic straws are provided only upon request.
6. No beverages sold in plastic bottles.
7. Discount is offered for customers with reusable cup, mug, bag, etc.
8. Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis; and / or all seafood must be a ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch or certified as sustainable.
9. Water conservation efforts, such as low-flow faucets and toilets, are implemented.
10. Energy efficiency efforts such as LED lighting and Energy Star appliances, are in place.
Restaurants who meet all 10 of the criteria are recognized as a Platinum Level Ocean Friendly Restaurant.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
- Show your support by frequenting our registered Ocean Friendly Restaurants and let them know you found them on the OFR webpage
- Ask for water and other drinks in a reusable glass instead of plastic
- Bring your own reusable cup for takeout coffee, and remember to ask for a reusable mug when ordering “for here”
- Bring a reusable water bottle to avoid purchasing plastic bottles of water
- If you think you may have leftovers, bring your own reusable container instead of getting a disposable container from the restaurant
- Always bring your own bag when picking up takeout food
Say “no straw” whenever you order a drink (even take-out and drive-thru), and take the No Straw Pledge
REGISTER YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANT
Anyone can become part of the OFR team and register restaurants to be Ocean Friendly. Join us at a committee meeting to find out exactly how the process works.
Benefits of being an Ocean Friendly Restaurant
We offer restaurants several incentives for their Ocean Friendly practices.
- Promotion to more than 30,000 San Diego County consumers through:
- social media
- our website
- email blasts
- community events and beach cleanups
- Optional collateral including: OFR window sticker, table-toppers, diner brochures, bill stuffers and poster
- Collaborative promotions such as launch parties or coupon days promoted to our members
- Train wait staff about campaign
- Vendor pamphlet with alternative material sources and pricing, including negotiated discounts
JOIN THE TEAM
OUR NEWEST OFR’s
Dini's Bistro 3290 Carlsbad Blvd Carlsbad, CA 92008 (760) 434-6000 http://www.dinisbistro.com/ Surfrider San Diego is pleased to announce the first Ocean Friendly Restaurant (OFR) in Carlsbad Village! Dini's Bistro, located at 3290 Carlsbad Boulevard, joins over 100...read more
Pueblo 877 Hornblend Street San Diego, CA 92109 858-412-3312 www.pueblopb.com Pueblo is committed to responsible and sustainable earth friendly practices in all of our efforts to be a good member of the world community. We are thrilled that there exists, and to...read more
Anthem Vegan is a mobile food company that can be found all over San Diego County. Serving nine different locations a week at farmers markets, they also cater weddings, special events, art shows, live music events, and private parties. Anthem Vegan was founded in...read more
Refill 3752 Park Blvd #104, San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 677-2242 http://www.refillcafe.com/ Refill is a San Diego cafe featuring cold brew coffee, espresso, crepes, avocado toast, salads, beer, wine, and more.Located on Park Blvd between Hillcrest, University Heights...read more
Banana Dang 115 South Coast Hwy. Oceanside, CA 92054 760-846-0164 https://www.bananadang.com/ Banana Dang! is Oceanside's first craft coffee bar. We get very excited about—espresso, fresh coffee and banana smoothies. Open 7am -...read more
Coronado Brewing Imperial Beach 875 Seacoast Dr, Imperial Beach, CA 91932 (619) 423-4900 https://coronadobrewing.com/locations-new/imperial-beach-restaurant/ Coronado Brewing's Imperial Beach location is now officially certified as an Ocean Friendly Restaurant. A...read more
OB Surf Lodge 619.955.5475 5083 Santa Monica Ave Suite 1F San Diego, CA 92107 obsurflodge.com Offering patrons a delicious menu suited for brunch and beverage aficionados. ...read more
Vessel Restaurant, Kona Kai Resort 619.221.8000 1551 Shelter Island Dr. San Diego, CA 92106 http://www.resortkonakai.com/shelter-island-restaurant.aspx Vessel Restaurant + Bar at Kona Kai Resort & Spa offers New American cuisine expertly prepared by Executive Chef Roy...read more
Café Secret, Cocina Peruana 858.792.0821 1140 Camino Del Mar, Del Mar, California 92014 http://cafesecret.com/ The magic that happens in Cafe Secret’s tiny kitchen dates back to the couple’s childhood years in Peru, where good food and great company was a part of...read more