Our Beach Cleanup Program
Surfrider Foundation’s Chapter network conducts 1000 public beach cleanups annually throughout the West, East, Gulf, Hawaiian, Great Lakes, and Puerto Rican Coasts. Cleanups are conducted by volunteers who weigh, catalog and recycle the appropriate materials collected. Surfrider volunteers collect and remove 100,000 pounds of trash and recycled materials annually.
The San Diego County Chapter held over 50 cleanups in 2018, empowering 8,854 volunteers to remove 11,530 pounds of trash from our beaches. Maintaining such a robust program requires the support of numerous individuals, organizations and businesses within San Diego County. We invite your company to join the effort to keep San Diego County’s coastline clean by sponsoring a public or private beach cleanup.
Our orientation includes an introduction to Surfrider Foundation, the importance of coastal preservation efforts, and simple measures we can all take to protect our ocean, waves and beaches.
Why Sponsor a Cleanup?
- Help protect our coastlines, waves and beaches
- Help promote a healthy lifestyle for employees
- Establish company as a good corporate citizen
- Encourage employees to be engaged in their community
- Strengthen employee team building and morale
- Encourage brand loyalty by being affiliated with Surfrider Foundation
What We Provide
Event Permit & Insurance | Orientation | Surfrider Tent & Table(s) | Reusable Trash Bags, Gloves & Trash Grabbers | Data Cards | Pens/Pencils | Sunscreen | Hand Sanitizer | Water Jug upon request (BYO reusable bottle or purchase from us)
We provide a day-of total weight of trash removed from the beach, and also compile your team’s data cards (if used) and send a full impact report within 2-3 days.
Suggested Sponsorship Levels
- $1000 – up to 40 people
- $1500 – up to 80 people
- $2000 – up to 120 people
- $2500 – up to 160 people
- $3000 – up to 200 people
- Surfrider branded (or co-branded) stainless steel water bottle – $20/person
- Surfrider branded reusable bamboo utensil sets – $12/person
- Surfrider branded (or co-branded) organic cotton tee shirts – $20/person
- Surfrider-branded stainless steel pint – $10/person
- Blog entry highlighting your team’s effort on the Surfrider SD website – $500 (subject to approval dependent on company’s environmental record)
- Can we bring our company tent or banner? Typically, YES
- Can we wear corporate apparel? YES
- Is this a family friendly event? YES
- Can we bring pets? Typically, NO (certain beaches allow pets, so we can plan accordingly if requested)
- How long does the cleanup last? 1-2 hours
- Do participants have to pay for parking? DEPENDS ON BEACH
- Can we bring food & beverages? YES*
*Surfrider discourages the use of SINGLE-USE PLASTIC takeout containers (esp. styrofoam), utensils, water bottles, coffee cups, straws, and individually-wrapped snacks/condiments/items . All are top-items found at beach cleanups. Any promotional giveaways featuring above-mentioned items are prohibited at sponsored public cleanups. We are happy to provide advice on alternatives!
Ready to sponsor a public or private Surfrider beach cleanup? Please email email@example.com