Did you know?
BY THE YEAR 2050 We will lose approx. 50-100 feet of beach in many areas of San Diego County due to sea level rise.
90% Percent of the planet’s warming over the past 50 years that has been absorbed by the ocean.
369,811 People currently living the Maldives, whose homes are projected to be completely underwater by the year 2100.
To prevent further drastic changes to our ocean, waves, and beaches by reducing emission of greenhouse gases and to adapt responsibly to changes already occurring.
Climate change is caused by greenhouse gases (GHGs) that trap heat in our atmosphere.
- Electricity and Heat Production
- Agriculture, Forestry, and Other Land Use
- Other Energy
CLIMATE CHANGE AND THE OCEAN
What are the primary threats to our ocean, waves, and beaches caused by human-induced climate change?
Sea level rise
Sea levels are projected to rise by at least one vertical foot in San Diego by 2035. This will result in 50-100 feet of beach loss and will be further exacerbated by high tides and more severe storms.
Ocean warming, due to increasing heat-trapping Co2 is causing coral bleaching and reef die-off, thus damaging reef breaks and marine life.
Ocean acidification is the decrease in the pH of the water caused by excess Co2 in the atmosphere, disrupting shell calcification and impacting the global ecosystem.
WAYS YOU CAN HELP
- TRANSPORT- Drive as little as possible and drive the most fuel-efficient vehicle you can afford! Carpool and combine trips whenever you can.
- DIET- Reduce your emissions by eating less meat, choosing plant-based options when possible, limiting dairy, choosing sustainable seafood, and avoiding palm oil.
- HOME – Consume less energy: Dry clothes in the sun, turn off the AC, have “unplugged” tech-free days, buy a solar powered phone charger. Take short showers, use rain barrels and recycle grey water.
- CONSCIOUS CONSUMERISM – Only buy things you need, buy secondhand whenever you can, and swap boards, wetsuits, and clothes with other people in your community.
- ACTIVISM – Research politicians to make sure those you vote for take action against climate change!