Champions of Surf & Sand
Surfrider is a community of everyday people who passionately protect our playground – the ocean, waves, and beaches that provide us so much enjoyment.
Our volunteers are the lifeblood of the Surfrider Foundation. Join our network and help us tackle the issues that face our ocean, waves and beaches.
Special Announcement re: COVID-19.
Out of concern for the safety of our volunteers and community, Surfrider has canceled all in-person events and volunteer opportunities through at least July 1, 2020 (click HERE for a statement from our CEO, Dr. Chad Nelsen). We recommend that everyone #stayhomeshredlater during these uncertain times, and especially ask that our local surf and beach communities do their part to recreate responsibly, respect social distancing, and honor beach and park closures for the sake of public health. We look forward to joining you in the water once this is all over. In the meantime, we will use this page to post the numerous virtual volunteer opportunities that further our mission to protect and enjoy our ocean, waves and beaches!
Monthly Volunteer Committee Meetings
- The majority of our committee meetings have moved to virtual and we encourage everyone interested to join in – on a positive note, you don’t even need to get in your car and drive anywhere! Please see our Events Calendar for current meeting schedule + virtual join information.
- Take a Surfrider University Training Course! SFU is aimed at providing interactive learning and development opportunities to the whole chapter network, to increase the knowledge and skills of individual activists and increase the effectiveness of our chapter network. If you experience any login issues, please email email@example.com
- Have you heard of our Beachapedia website? It’s like Wikipedia for coastal issues and can serve as your coastal knowledge resource!
- Last but not least, a LIST of websites, books, movies etc. curated by Surfrider staff. Now is a great time to brush up on the issues!
- Digital Ocean Education/Activities for KIDS!
- The Beach & COVID-19: Understanding the Risks by Surfrider Staff Scientist Katie Day
- Surfing & Beach Access during the peak of COVID-19, a statement by The Surfrider Foundation
- Staying Healthy & Happy at Home, a resource guide by Ty Smith & the Surfrider staff
General & Creative
- Graphic Design – we rely on volunteers for most of our digital and print assets (flyers, brochures, etc.) Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to donate your design expertise to a great cause.
Ocean Friendly Restaurants
- Request a Volunteer Resource Package and receive tools including email templates and step-by-step guides for reaching out to new restaurants and performing compliance checks. Please email email@example.com for more information.
- Recruting & compliance checks paused until after the pandemic, as we know our restaurant community is suffering to make ends meet right now. We are open to any ideas for how we can support our OFR community at this time!
Rise Above Plastics (RAP)
- Our RAP Committee is currently seeking volunteer policy advocates to act as liaisons to various cities in San Diego County. RAP volunteers have worked behind the scenes to help enact over 10 single-use plastic reduction policies countywide, in coastal cities from Imperial Beach to Oceanside. For the first time in over 10 years of tireless local plastic pollution policy advocacy, we’re seeing a snowball effect taking place – inland cities are reaching out to us for assistance in enacting plastic reduction policies similar to the ones their coastal neighbors have passed! These are exciting times for plastic reduction, but we need passionate volunteers who live in or near these cities and are willing to dive in. The good news is, we will pair you with an experienced volunteer who can help you become a full-on plastic pollution policy advocate! If that sounds cool, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you’d like to do a little more research, check out our Rise Above Plastics page and join our next RAP Committee meeting on the third Tuesday of every month!
Beach Preservation & Access Monitoring
- Our Beach Pres Committee seeks volunteers to help monitor the agendas of city councils and planning commissions + regional and state agencies like SANDAG, the SD Water Authority, etc. for items that relate to the protection of our ocean, waves and beaches. By serving as an Agenda Monitor, you can help our staff and volunteer policy team do the critical work of protecting our coastline from bad projects which jeopardize our beaches, our surf sports, and our public access! Please email email@example.com if you’d like to know more.
If you are a student seeking an internship, please email our Chapter Manager, Mitch Silverstein. As we are primarily a volunteer organization, we can only offer internships to students who will receive academic credit for their work. Otherwise, we will classify you as a volunteer.