MISSIONTo reduce the impacts of plastics in the marine environment by raising awareness about the dangers of plastic pollution and by advocating for a reduction of single-use plastics and the recycling of all plastics.
OUR GOALSWe encourage you to help address these global issues locally with plastic reductions at home, school, work and for your entire community: Connect with Rise Above Plastics by attending a Chapter meeting or follow our Facebook page. Get involved and spread the word to friends and family about the problems with plastics. Be a leader and have the biggest impact by directing a plastic reduction program at school/work or a plastic reduction ordinance with you local city council. Check out the Rise Above Plastics Activist Toolkit here for detailed tips and ideas. FIGHT PLASTIC LITTER: SIGN THE ACTION ALERT
10 WAYS TO RISE ABOVE PLASTICS
- Choose to reuse when it comes to shopping bags and bottled water. Cloth bags and metal or glass reusable bottles are available locally at great prices.
- Refuse single-serving packaging, excess packaging, straws and other disposable plastics. Carry reusable utensils in your purse, backpack or car to use at BBQs, potlucks and take-out restaurants.
- Reduce everyday plastics such as sandwich bags and juice cartons by replacing them with a reusable lunch bag/box that includes a thermos.
- Bring your to-go mug with you to the coffee shop, smoothie shop or restaurants that let you use them. A great way to reduce lids, plastic cups and/or plastic-lined cups.
- Go digital! There is no need for CDs and DVDs when you can buy your music and videos online.
- Seek out alternatives to plastic items.
- Recycle. If you must use plastic, try to choose #1 (PETE) or #2 (HDPE), which are the most commonly recycled plastics. Avoid plastic bags and polystyrene foam as both typically have very low recycling rates.
- Volunteer at a beach cleanup. Check out all of our Events here.
- Support plastic bag bans, polystyrene foam bans and bottle recycling bills.
- Spread the word. Talk to your family and friends about why it is important to Rise Above Plastics!