REDUCING PLASTIC WASTE
One Restaurant at a Time
The Ocean Friendly Restaurant (OFR) campaign works with San Diego County restaurants to institute self-regulated ocean friendly policies that reduce disposable plastic waste. By reducing disposable waste, restaurants have the power to greatly reduce their impact on San Diego’s ocean and beaches. Instead of punishing restaurants that have wasteful practices, San Diego Surfrider Foundation’s Rise Above Plastics committee will instead support restaurants that take it upon themselves to be ocean friendly. By engaging the restaurant community in a conversation about ocean friendly practices, we hope to significantly reduce disposable waste in our ocean and on our beaches.
WHAT MAKES A RESTAURANT OCEAN FRIENDLY?
Restaurants participating in the OFR Campaign MUST follow these four criteria:
- No styrofoam use
- Only reusable tableware is provided for onsite dining
- Proper recycling practices are followed throughout the restaurant
- Plastic bags are not used to carry out food
And choose a minimum of three of these criteria as well:
- Plastic straws are provided only upon request
- Takeout food and beverage containers are recycled, recyclable, or compostable
- Takeout bags are provided only upon request, or pickup customers are asked to bring their own takeout bags
- Disposable utensils for takeout food are provided only upon request
- No beverages sold in plastic bottles.
- Discount offered to customers who bring in their own cup, mug, container, bag or other reusable item.
HOW CAN I HELP?
- Show your support by frequenting our certified Ocean Friendly Restaurants and let them know you found them on the OFR webpage
- Say “no straw” whenever you order a drink (even take-out and drive-thru), and take the No Straw Pledge
- Ask for water and other drinks in a reusable glass instead of plastic
- Bring your own reusable cup for takeout coffee, and remember to ask for a reusable mug when ordering “for here”
- Bring a reusable water bottle to avoid purchasing plastic bottles of water
- If you think you may have leftovers, bring your own reusable container instead of getting a disposable container from the restaurant
- Always bring your own bag when picking up takeout food
CERTIFY YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANT
Anyone can become part of the OFR team and certify restaurants to be Ocean Friendly. Join us at a committee meeting to find out exactly how the process works.
BECOME AN OFR
Benefits of being an Ocean Friendly Restaurant
We offer restaurants several incentives for their Ocean Friendly practices.
- Promotion to more than 30,000 San Diego County consumers through:
- social media
- our website, and future mobile app
- community events and beach cleanups
- Optional collateral including: OFR window sticker, table-toppers, diner brochures, bill stuffers, poster
- Collaborative promotions such as launch parties or coupon days promoted to our members
- Train wait staff about campaign
- Vendor pamphlet with alternative material sources and pricing, including negotiated discounts
OUR NEWEST OFR’s
We are stoked to announce that Surfrider San Diego has been awarded funding for the Ocean Friendly Restaurants program by the Johnson Ohana Charitable Foundation, founded by Kim and Jack Johnson to support environmental, art, and music education. The grant will be...read more
An OFR as of May 24, 2016 Juice Bar & Healthy Grill 330 Magnolia Ave El Cajon, CA 619.401.2667 Garden Cafe 14860 Olde Highway 80 El Cajon, CA 619.938.33331 From The Soy Leaf Cafe: Here at Soy Leaf we think eating healthy should be easy and delicious! Our menu is...read more
An OFR as of May 4th, 2016 789 W Harbor Dr San Diego, CA 92101(619) 233-8880 Monday - Sunday 11:00am - 10:00pm 1026 Wall St La Jolla, CA 92037(858) 454-1260 Sunday - Thursday 11:00am - 9:00pm Friday - Saturday 11:00am - 10:00pm http://eatpuesto.com/ From...read more
An OFR as of April 22nd, 2016 1468 N Coast Hwy 101 Leucadia, CA 92024(760) 943-6221 Monday Closed Tuesday - Thursday 11:30am - 9:00pmFriday - Saturday 11:30am - 10:00pm Sunday 11:30am - 9:00pm fish101restaurant.com From Fish 101 At Fish 101 we are serious about...read more
An OFR as of Feb 15th, 2015 101 N Coast Hwy Ste C-140 Oceanside, CA 92054 760.433.6064 Monday - Thursday 11:00am - 11:00am Friday - Saturday 11:00am - 12:00am Sunday 10:00am - 11:00pm Oceanside: 215 N Coast Hwy Oceanside, CA 92054 760.435.0042 ...read more
An OFR as of Feb 15th, 2015 Pacific Beach: 1261 Garnet Ave San Diego, CA 92109 858.270.9922 Monday 4:00am - 12:00am Tuesday - Saturday 9:00am - 12:00am Sunday 10:00am - 12:00am Oceanside: 215 N Coast Hwy Oceanside, CA 92054 760.435.0042 Monday -...read more
An OFR as of Feb 15th, 2015 711 Mission Ave Oceanside, CA 92054 760.637.2222 Monday - Friday 11:00am - 1:00am Sat - Sunday 9:00am - 12:00am Saturday 10:00am - 1:00am http://missionavebarandgrill.com/ From Mission Avenue Bar and Grill The team...read more
An OFR as of Feb 15th, 2015 Gaslamp: 333 Fifth Ave San Diego, CA 92101 619.795.9463 Monday - Thursday 11:00am - 10:00pm Friday 11:00am - 12:00am Saturday 10:00am - 12:00am Sunday 10:00am - 10:00pm Encinitas: 1108 S Coast Hwy 101 Encinitas, CA 92024...read more
An OFR as of December 1, 2015 1706 Pacific Coast Hwy Oceanside, CA 92054 Monday Closed Tuesday - Thursday 11:30am - 9:00pm Friday - Saturday 11:30am - 10:00pm Sunday 11:30pm - 9:00pm 760.453.2500 http://www.theprivateercoalfirepizza.com/ From The Privateer Coal Fire...read more