REDUCING PLASTIC WASTE
One Restaurant at a Time
The Ocean Friendly Restaurant (OFR) campaign works with San Diego County restaurants to institute self-regulated ocean friendly policies that reduce disposable plastic waste. By reducing disposable waste, restaurants have the power to greatly reduce their impact on San Diego’s ocean and beaches. Instead of punishing restaurants that have wasteful practices, San Diego Surfrider Foundation’s Rise Above Plastics committee will instead support restaurants that take it upon themselves to be ocean friendly. By engaging the restaurant community in a conversation about ocean friendly practices, we hope to significantly reduce disposable waste in our ocean and on our beaches.
WHAT MAKES A RESTAURANT OCEAN FRIENDLY?
Restaurants participating must follow the first four criteria:
1. No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam).
2. Proper recycling practices are followed.
3. Only reusable tableware is used for onsite dining, and disposable utensils for takeout food are provided only upon request.
4. No plastic bags offered for takeout or to-go orders.
And choose a minimum of three of these criteria as well:
5. Plastic straws are provided only upon request.
6. No beverages sold in plastic bottles.
7. Discount is offered for customers with reusable cup, mug, bag, etc.
8. Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis; and / or all seafood must be a ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch or certified as sustainable.
9. Water conservation efforts, such as low-flow faucets and toilets, are implemented.
10. Energy efficiency efforts such as LED lighting and Energy Star appliances, are in place.
Restaurants who meet all 10 of the criteria are recognized as a Platinum Level Ocean Friendly Restaurant.
HOW CAN I HELP?
- Show your support by frequenting our certified Ocean Friendly Restaurants and let them know you found them on the OFR webpage
- Say “no straw” whenever you order a drink (even take-out and drive-thru), and take the No Straw Pledge
- Ask for water and other drinks in a reusable glass instead of plastic
- Bring your own reusable cup for takeout coffee, and remember to ask for a reusable mug when ordering “for here”
- Bring a reusable water bottle to avoid purchasing plastic bottles of water
- If you think you may have leftovers, bring your own reusable container instead of getting a disposable container from the restaurant
- Always bring your own bag when picking up takeout food
CERTIFY YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANT
Anyone can become part of the OFR team and certify restaurants to be Ocean Friendly. Join us at a committee meeting to find out exactly how the process works.
Benefits of being an Ocean Friendly Restaurant
We offer restaurants several incentives for their Ocean Friendly practices.
- Promotion to more than 30,000 San Diego County consumers through:
- social media
- our website
- email blasts
- community events and beach cleanups
- Optional collateral including: OFR window sticker, table-toppers, diner brochures, bill stuffers and poster
- Collaborative promotions such as launch parties or coupon days promoted to our members
- Train wait staff about campaign
- Vendor pamphlet with alternative material sources and pricing, including negotiated discounts
OUR NEWEST OFR’s
Anthem Vegan is a mobile food company that can be found all over San Diego County. Serving nine different locations a week at farmers markets, they also cater weddings, special events, art shows, live music events, and private parties. Anthem Vegan was founded in...read more
Refill 3752 Park Blvd #104, San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 677-2242 http://www.refillcafe.com/ Refill is a San Diego cafe featuring cold brew coffee, espresso, crepes, avocado toast, salads, beer, wine, and more.Located on Park Blvd between Hillcrest, University Heights...read more
Surfrider San Diego’s Ocean Friendly Restaurant team is hosting a 100 strong ocean friendly restaurant celebration!read more
YEW! x Surfrider San Diego are proud to announce that we have launched a Surfrider San Diego Podcast on the YEW! network — where we will be discussing all things Surfrider Foundation San Diego with host Chris Cantore.read more
Show Herringbone La Jolla your gratitude for reducing their disposable waste by coming out to celebrate!read more
Banana Dang 115 South Coast Hwy. Oceanside, CA 92054 760-846-0164 https://www.bananadang.com/ Banana Dang! is Oceanside's first craft coffee bar. We get very excited about—espresso, fresh coffee and banana smoothies. Open 7am -...read more
Coronado Brewing Imperial Beach 875 Seacoast Dr, Imperial Beach, CA 91932 (619) 423-4900 https://coronadobrewing.com/locations-new/imperial-beach-restaurant/ Coronado Brewing's Imperial Beach location is now officially certified as an Ocean Friendly Restaurant. A...read more
OB Surf Lodge 619.955.5475 5083 Santa Monica Ave Suite 1F San Diego, CA 92107 obsurflodge.com Offering patrons a delicious menu suited for brunch and beverage aficionados. ...read more
Vessel Restaurant, Kona Kai Resort 619.221.8000 1551 Shelter Island Dr. San Diego, CA 92106 http://www.resortkonakai.com/shelter-island-restaurant.aspx Vessel Restaurant + Bar at Kona Kai Resort & Spa offers New American cuisine expertly prepared by Executive Chef Roy...read more