WHAT MAKES A RESTAURANT OCEAN FRIENDLY?Restaurants participating must follow the first five criteria:
- No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam).
- Proper recycling practices are followed.
- Only reusable tableware is used for onsite dining, and disposable utensils for takeout food are provided only upon request.
- No plastic bags offered for takeout or to-go orders.
- Straws are provided only upon request.
- No beverages sold in plastic bottles.
- Discount is offered for customers with reusable cup, mug, bag, etc.
- Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis
- All seafood must be a ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch or certified as sustainable.
- Water conservation efforts, such as low-flow faucets and toilets, are implemented.
- Energy efficiency efforts such as LED lighting and Energy Star appliances, are in place.
How can you help?Show your support by frequenting our registered Ocean Friendly Restaurants and let them know you found them on the OFR webpage Ask for water and other drinks in a reusable glass instead of plastic Bring your own reusable cup for takeout coffee, and remember to ask for a reusable mug when ordering “for here” Bring a reusable water bottle to avoid purchasing plastic bottles of water If you think you may have leftovers, bring your own reusable container instead of getting a disposable container from the restaurant Always bring your own bag when picking up takeout food
Say “no straw” whenever you order a drink (even take-out and drive-thru), and take the No Straw PledgeRegister your favorite restaurant – Anyone can become part of the OFR team and register restaurants to be Ocean Friendly. Join us at a committee meeting to find out exactly how the process works.
We offer restaurants several incentives for their Ocean Friendly practices.
Promotion to more than 30,000 San Diego County consumers through:
- social media
- our website
- email blasts
- community events and beach cleanups
- Optional collateral including: OFR window sticker, table-toppers, diner brochures, bill stuffers and poster
- Collaborative promotions such as launch parties or coupon days promoted to our members
- Train wait staff about campaign
- Vendor pamphlet with alternative material sources and pricing, including negotiated discounts