REDUCING PLASTIC WASTE
One Restaurant at a Time
The Ocean Friendly Restaurant (OFR) campaign works with San Diego County restaurants to institute self-regulated ocean friendly policies that reduce disposable plastic waste. By reducing disposable waste, restaurants have the power to greatly reduce their impact on San Diego’s ocean and beaches. Instead of punishing restaurants that have wasteful practices, San Diego Surfrider Foundation’s Rise Above Plastics committee will instead support restaurants that take it upon themselves to be ocean friendly. By engaging the restaurant community in a conversation about ocean friendly practices, we hope to significantly reduce disposable waste in our ocean and on our beaches.
WHAT MAKES A RESTAURANT OCEAN FRIENDLY?
Restaurants participating in the OFR Campaign MUST follow these four criteria:
- No styrofoam use
- Only reusable tableware is provided for onsite dining
- Proper recycling practices are followed throughout the restaurant
- Plastic bags are not used to carry out food
And choose a minimum of three of these criteria as well:
- Plastic straws are provided only upon request
- Takeout food and beverage containers are recycled, recyclable, or compostable
- Takeout bags are provided only upon request, or pickup customers are asked to bring their own takeout bags
- Disposable utensils for takeout food are provided only upon request
- No beverages sold in plastic bottles.
- Discount offered to customers who bring in their own cup, mug, container, bag or other reusable item.
HOW CAN I HELP?
- Show your support by frequenting our certified Ocean Friendly Restaurants and let them know you found them on the OFR webpage
- Say “no straw” whenever you order a drink (even take-out and drive-thru), and take the No Straw Pledge
- Ask for water and other drinks in a reusable glass instead of plastic
- Bring your own reusable cup for takeout coffee, and remember to ask for a reusable mug when ordering “for here”
- Bring a reusable water bottle to avoid purchasing plastic bottles of water
- If you think you may have leftovers, bring your own reusable container instead of getting a disposable container from the restaurant
- Always bring your own bag when picking up takeout food
CERTIFY YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANT
Anyone can become part of the OFR team and certify restaurants to be Ocean Friendly. Join us at a committee meeting to find out exactly how the process works.
BECOME AN OFR
Benefits of being an Ocean Friendly Restaurant
We offer restaurants several incentives for their Ocean Friendly practices.
- Promotion to more than 30,000 San Diego County consumers through:
- social media
- our website, and future mobile app
- community events and beach cleanups
- Optional collateral including: OFR window sticker, table-toppers, diner brochures, bill stuffers, poster
- Collaborative promotions such as launch parties or coupon days promoted to our members
- Train wait staff about campaign
- Vendor pamphlet with alternative material sources and pricing, including negotiated discounts
OUR NEWEST OFR’s
Café Secret, Cocina Peruana 858.792.0821 1140 Camino Del Mar, Del Mar, California 92014 http://cafesecret.com/ The magic that happens in Cafe Secret’s tiny kitchen dates back to the couple’s childhood years in Peru, where good food and great company was a part of...read more
Draft Republic 4282 Esplanade Ct, San Diego, CA 92122 858-450-1400 https://www.cohnrestaurants.com/draftrepublic In Beer We Trust Innovative American Cuisine & 38 Beers On Tap Americana Inspired Gastro...read more
The Smoking Goat 3408 30th St, San Diego, CA 92104 (619) 955-5295 http://www.thesmokinggoatrestaurant.com The Smoking Goat is an environmentally friendly neighborhood bistro that is committed to only serving local, sustainable and organic ingredients. The Smoking Goat...read more
One Door North 3422 30th St. San Diego, Ca. 92104 (619) 618-1285 http://www.onedoornorthsd.com One Door North is an environmentally friendly neighborhood bistro that is committed to only serving local, sustainable and organic ingredients. One Door North owners have...read more
880 Harbor Island Dr San Diego, CA 92101 619-885-8696 https://www.cohnrestaurants.com/islandprime Waterfront restaurant & lounge with modern decor & bay views specializes in Californian...read more
1446 Camino Del Mar Del Mar, CA 92014 Elixir Del Mar on Facebook (858) 793-4663 Elixir does it all right! Very environmentally aware with their choice of products. Latte, cappuccino, you name it-- all made with our house sprouted organic almond...read more
1454 Camino Del Mar, Del Mar, CA 92014 (858) 794-6838 http://www.americanarestaurant.com/ When you feel like a good meal done right, Americana is the place to be!! We are in the prime of Del Mar near the beach, & our outdoor patio is incredibly pleasant &...read more
Herringbone restaurant is chef Brian Malarkey’s take on “Fish Meats Field." Beautiful open restaurant with 100 year old olive trees in the dining room. 7837 Herschel Ave La Jolla, CA 92037 (858) 459-0221...read more
Inspired by the simplicity, relaxed and feel-good vibe of the seersucker fabric, Chef Brian Malarkey created a space that invites patrons to relax and enjoy. Menus are both serious and fun, with creative twists on New American Classics. Dishes range from shared plates...read more