Beach Cleanup Internship
The Surfrider Foundation is a grassroots non-profit organization dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of our ocean, waves and beaches through a powerful activist network. The San Diego County Chapter is seeking an energetic, independent and motivated individual to fill the role of the beach cleanup intern. This position reports to the Chapter Coordinator to help assist with specific campaigns, programs and committee outreach.
The intern will support our Beach Cleanup Site Captains, organize supplies and data, act as a knowledgeable Surfrider representative and educate the public about our cleanups.
- Provide support to Surfrider Site Captains at Surfrider beach cleanups around the County
- Keep all beach cleanup supplies organized; maintain inventories of supplies and restock as needed
- Attend and/or host large bi-monthly cleanups, communicate instructions to volunteers, and distribute/collect/transport beach cleanup supplies
- Coordinate with clients to organize sponsored cleanups, host sponsored cleanups (as needed), and generate a brief impact report for client after cleanup is complete
- Maintain and contribute to debris database from volunteers’ datasheets
- Keep beach cleanup calendar updated and accurate
- Assist Coastkeeper staff in administrative tasks relation to beach cleanup program and outreach events, as well as in the development of materials pertaining to the cleanup program
- Generate a monthly blog post specific to a beach cleaned by Surfrider
Applicants should have experience with community organizing, event planning, and volunteer management. Candidates must have excellent oral and written communication skills, organizational skills, and a demonstrated ability to engage community volunteers. The intern must be hard-working, self-motivated, demonstrate a commitment to the environment, and be able to work independently.
A small level of physical exertion – loading/unloading supplies, setting up outreach booth events, etc. – is required. Reliable transportation is also required, your vehicle must be able to fit a 10×10 tent and supply bins. Finally, weekend availability, and Saturday mornings in particular, is required.
Salary, Benefits, & Terms
This is an unpaid internship.
10 hours/week with varying hours, including frequent weekends. Can be flexible around work and school schedules, but applicants must commit to at least two days a week in the office, as well as the vast majority of Surfrider San Diego beach cleanups.
To Apply, send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Beach Cleanup Internship” in the subject line