Rob Davis wrote an interesting article in the Voice...."With Water Cuts Near, Freeways Still Get Showered"
In the article he discusses CalTrans use of water on freeways to keep plants green on our roadsides. Here are a few interesting take aways from the article:
- 635 Million Gallons are used to keep freeway shoulders green
- 75% of roadside sprinklers do NOT have smart irrigation systems
- Commercial customers pay $0.003 (less than half of a cent) per gallon of water
- There is no financial incentive for commercial customers to conserve
- Residential customers pay more for water as they use more (incentive to conserve)
Here is a link to article: LINK