BEACH CLEANUP & OUTREACH COORDINATOR
Part-Time (15-20 hours/week)
The Surfrider Foundation is a grassroots nonprofit environmental organization dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of the world’s ocean, waves and beaches through a powerful activist network. Founded in 1984 by a handful of visionary surfers in Malibu, California, the Surfrider Foundation now maintains over 250,000 supporters, activists and members worldwide. The San Diego County Chapter was formed in 1991 and today is the largest and most active chapter in the world.
The San Diego County Chapter is seeking a highly motivated person for the part-time position of Beach Cleanups & Outreach Coordinator. Our team seeks a self-motivated, adaptable professional to work in a high volume, deadline dependent environment. The primary focus of this position is to manage our Beach Cleanup Program. The position will also include events, marketing, communications & general administrative support for the Chapter. This position is part-time and requires a flexible schedule.
- Support, manage, and expand our corporate and public beach cleanup programs. Includes permitting and supply management, scheduling and hosting sponsored cleanups, and supporting our public cleanup site captains, volunteers and interns
- Office administration including permit applications, supervision of all beach cleanup data entry, answer telephones, emails and general inquiries, maintenance of beach cleanup supplies
- Maintain regular communications with Surfrider Foundation members and volunteers via the website, email, social media, events calendar and other channels (emphasis on our beach cleanup program)
- Assist with the organization of merchandise, outreach materials, and supplies in our storage room
- Support Chapter Manager with general accounting tasks such as data entry, deposits, etc.
- Event planning; support the planning of our Leadership Retreat, Chapter Meetings, International Surfing Day, Paddle for Clean Water, Annual Gala, Stone Anniversary Celebration and other annual events
- Assist as needed with chapter outreach efforts including staffing booths, prepping supplies for events, and recruiting volunteers
- Support Chapter Manager with volunteer coordination by recruiting, engaging, managing and overseeing volunteers and interns; attend bi-monthly core volunteer orientations, manage Volunteers for Salesforce, provide outreach for program volunteer needs
Reports to: San Diego County Chapter Manager & Executive Committee Chair
KNOWLEDGE & SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- Associate’s Degree or equivalent preferred, but not required
- Basic knowledge of coastal/marine environmental issues
- Nonprofit and/or volunteer management experience (preferred)
- Ability to load, unload and carry beach cleanup supplies (up to 40 lbs.) for extended distances of up to 50 yards
- Administrative experience
- WordPress and web design experience (preferred)
- Public speaking skills
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Flexible schedule; available on nights and weekends
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse partners
- Strong social skills
- Strong writing skills
- Social media experience (prefered)
- Must have own vehicle and maintain a clean driving record
Based at the Surfrider Foundation San Diego Chapter headquarters.
Work will be performed throughout San Diego County.
Submit cover letter, resume, and optional reference list to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please state “San Diego Beach Cleanup Coordinator” in the subject line of your email, and title resume and cover letter documents using this convention: lastname_resume.doc & lastname_cover.doc
Deadline for receiving resumes: January 16
Start Date: Feb 2019. Please email a resume and a cover letter as a .pdf file to email@example.com by XXXXX. This is a part-time position based in San Diego County. The Surfrider Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.