OFR Criteria Updates + Two New Additions to the Family!
Lo and behold, restaurants are registering as Ocean Friendly Restaurants (OFRs) again! As you may have noticed, we took a step back from OFR for over a year while the local restaurant community struggled with pandemic restrictions on dining in. Instead, we did everything we could do to support local OFRs and focused on the new Ocean Friendly To-Go program, aimed at eliminating single-use plastic waste from takeout orders.
Meanwhile back at The Surfrider Foundation HQ, staff and volunteer leaders stayed busy developing the newest round of OFR program updates for 2021. You can review the entire criteria at our Ocean Friendly Restaurants page, however we’ve included a short summary of “OFR 2.0” program updates at the bottom of this post. But first, let’s give a warm welcome to our newest San DIego County OFRs!
Viewpoint Brewing Co.
Welcome to Del Mar’s Viewpoint Brewing offers great food, drinks and a view!
“Viewpoint Brewing Co is lucky enough to be located on the San Dieguito Lagoon and we believe that it is our responsibility to not only protect our view but also the ocean our lagoon feeds. While the journey to sustainability is long with lots of hurdles, we want to take steps to be a part of the solution.” CEO Charles Koll
Maverick's Beach Club
Get your ocean friendly club vibe on at Maverick’s on Garnet, just blocks from the beach in PB.
“Enjoy a multi-level entertainment complex with 5 indoor/outdoor bars, 38 TV’s and Baja-inspired food fresh from our restaurant. Mavericks pays homage to California’s largest surf break and one of the world’s top surfing destinations, capturing and celebrating California’s infectious beach and surf culture while providing an all-around, daily beach party!
OFR 2.0 Criteria Updates
You can review the entire criteria at our Ocean Friendly Restaurants page, however here is a short summary of “OFR 2.0” program updates:
- Membership dues are now donation-based so that all compliant restaurants are eligible to register. No more required fees = a more inclusive program, yay!
- Program now has 7 mandatory criteria and 8 optional (OFRs must choose at least 3 optionals).
- Beverages not sold in plastic bottles is now a mandatory criterion (previously optional)
- “No plastic bags offered with takeout or to-go orders and utensils are provided only upon request’ has broken into 2 separate criterion, for clarity.
- No plastic bags are used for takeout or to-go orders.
- Single-use utensils, straws, condiments, and other accessory items are provided only upon request.
- New optional criteria have been introduced:
- Concessions and pre-packaged food items are not sold in plastic packaging.
- Composting efforts are in place for food waste.
- Neither single-use plastic nor bio-based plastic containers are used for takeout or to-go orders, reusable containers are preferred.