by Vicki Conlon
The Surfrider Foundation is thrilled to welcome The Prado at the Airport, operated by SSP America, to our family of over 550 Ocean Friendly Restaurants (OFR). The Prado at the Airport has joined Surfrider OFR’s efforts to increase environmental awareness in order to drive change in behavior, ultimately reducing waste one restaurant, once customer at a time.
“SSP America is honored to support champions of the surf and sand, The Surfrider Foundation, and its network of volunteers who are the boots on the ground for those who care about our coastal communities. Our mission at SSP America is to bring a true ‘taste of place’ to the airports we serve. That’s why we’re so proud to be a Surfrider Ocean Friendly Restaurant Member and have diligently worked to ensure we adhere to the criteria outlined in the Surfrider program. We look forward to doing all we can to support the organization and its mission.”
Ed Hartless, Director of Operations for SSP America at SAN
The Prado at the Airport has met the necessary criteria to become the 2nd of only two registered Ocean Friendly Restaurants at a US airport.
- No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam).
- Proper recycling practices are followed.
- Only reusable foodware is used for onsite dining.
- No plastic bags offered with take out or to-go orders and utensils are provided only upon request.
- Paper straws are provided only upon request.
- Energy conservation efforts
- Water conservation efforts
- Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis
In addition to being a Surfrider OFR, The Prado at the Airport is a member of the Green Concessions Program, which helps SAN airport concessions operate more sustainably. The SSP America employees and their families have also participated in I love a Clean San Diego beach clean-up events.